Saturday, January 26, 2008

The problem with the carry-on bag and the personal item...

The problem with the carry-on and the personal item occurs when one wishes not to check a bag: chances are high that even if you pack carefully once other people take up all the overhead space you may still be forced to check your bag and risk reaching your destination without your bag. Chances are reduced when the bag is taken just before boarding, but then someone could walk off with your bag. A bit paranoid, yes, but having just returned from a trip where I minimized my carry-on baggage and the checked suitcase with all my gifts and toiletries reached my destination 5 days after I did bears witness to this problem. The other problem is for shopaholics: packing for your trip is not the problem, returning with all your new stuff is!

Friends should be wondering why I'm thinking about my next trip when I just returned from one.

Answer:


(1) always evaluate what worked and what didn't from your last trip,
(2) I was reminded that we are celebrating a friend's graduation and birthday in the next 4 months.

On my most recent vacation, to head off laundry I packed too many clothes: cardinal rule is figure out what you can/will wear more than once and remove other items accordingly to minimize your travel load. I also had issues with my carry-on bags: I packed lightly but my duffel bag's design was cute and cumbersome, and I carried a great purse that was so small I couldn't fit items I use in-flight close to me (read: constantly had to go into the overhead for my in-flight needs).

Solutions:


I'm obsessed with those uber-sized handbags stewardesses (politically correct: flight attendants) carry because they are "personal items": they're these huge purses that can carry SO MUCH STUFF! I just spent 2 hours trying to track one down. They're this great leather and larger than the average purse. I have visions of carrying my toiletries along with my *substantial* arsenal of daily essentials and a carry-on for my next trip instead of a bulky rolling carry-on box to minimize my carryings.

What I found that fit the description was the Stewardess bag from Coach, which explains the great leather, but no generic and less expensive brand. So I'm thinking Coach rightfully patented this design (since they did of course invent it) and no other company reinterpreted it because flight attendants are such a small market. I'll have to investigate this theory further at my local Coach store ;,).

Some NICE alternatives are available from many designers of course:
  • Louis Vuitton invented the custom travel bag category: I'm salivating for the XL bag because of it's a cute sack, the Marina GM because it's a structured sack, and of course the Speedy because it's iconic . These 3 options could stylishly stow plenty, you'll just have to eat Top Ramen for a month.
  • Dooney & Bourke has some great items also: I love the idea of a roll-up tote for inevitable shopping, and this carry-all references LV's Speedy at a lower price point, and I saw this travel tote in a magazine and thought about my love affair with the vehicle of the same name. The preceding are lovely but I blew my monthly fun budget on a Zebra duffel and matching purse, justified because travel bags should be functional and stylish! Why clear? The clear versions are less expensive than the leather or cloth versions and a friend once traveled with an LV clear logo diaper bag (just for its roominess) that was flyy...I've been obsessed since then. Money being no object I would have a Zebra duffel and medium sac in grey/white (medium so there's no question about fitting under the seat in front of you). The Croco duffels are not bad either...
  • Diane von Furstenberg has designed some great luggage that you can find anywhere from her flagship, to Macy's, to eBags, to your local Ross or Marshall's. I first saw her luggage in Ross: a black suede with tan leather trim, that came with packing accessories and a brush for the suede. Matching pieces were readily available also. Salivating? The only reason I don't own that piece is the suede would never last if I were asked to check my carry-on. Her luggage is always stylish, on trend, noticeable and admirable.
  • Jansport has some VERY CUTE offerings at VERY REASONABLE prices: I saw a blue polka-dot print at a luggage specialty store at my local mall that I had to walk quickly away from, and many are available at eBags. Perfect rolling uprights, backpacks, duffel bags, and personal item bags.

No comments: