Thursday, October 23, 2008

iLust: Briefcase bags

A full article on the latest handbag trend reminds me of my favorite bags. I love briefcase bags because they are wide enough to hold books and papers without folding (academic), stuff clothing and toiletries for 1-2 days (travel), or carry a laptop and files (work). A few years ago I began lusting even more for vertical briefcase bags, especially for laptops, because they seem to distribute weight better and makes inevitable airport treks easier on the back. In this article I love Rachel Bilson's simple vertical case, and a version of the Olsen twin's can be purchased very inexpensively in many stores.

When buying into this trend you want to either invest or go trendy. An investment is a strong, structured version, usually leather or suede, that will hold up to the ages (trust me, you'll pull this out many times in a year to reduce your cost-per-wear). A leather Coach is, of course, a great way to go. Canvas material is structured and trendy: keep a needle and thread handy for the rips that occur with use and you also have a long lasting bag. Go trendy with less structure and/or a less sturdy material, that you understand may not last long. I purchased a great looking tote via mail order that was even featured on Grey's Anatomy, but without the structure I have to be very careful about how heavy my load gets. In fact, it's a perfect prop: I'm sure Izzie Stevens wasn't carrying much in hers!

http://www.whowhatwear.com/website/full-article/accessory-report-briefcase-bags/

No comments: